Monday, December 15, 2008

False Alarm-

I have been having contractions off and on for the last three days, leaving me sore and tired, but hopeful. Then at 1 am this morning the contractions became more frequent and more painful and I grew excited. We left for the hospital around 2 am with my contractions about 3-5 min. apart. However, while driving to the hospital they became less consistent and by the time we got to the hospital they were about 7 min. apart, and by the time I was hooked up the monitor they were 8 min. apart and I was dilated to a 1-2 (woop-dee-doo). After three days of contractions I was hoping for a little more. They told us to walk around the hospital for two hours and then come back and they would monitor and check again. After walking the halls for an hour, being bored out of our minds, and seeing no change in the the contractions I asked them if we could just leave. They checked me one more time and confirmed my fear- that I had not progressed and we left at 5:30 am. By 7 am I was having no contractions and now, nearly 1 pm I have still not had any. You would think after going through labor twice I would know when I was in labor, but apparently I still have not a clue. However, I am trying not to expect anything until my due date- just so I can cope better mentally with the pregnant situation. And yes- yesterday was my "goal" to have the baby, so a goal is left unaccomplished. Today could be a long one as I got 1 1/2 hours of sleep (we came home to the kids wide awake with our friend watching them) and the kids are sticking Lego's down each others pants and biting each other for fun. Wow! I am sure Matt is also about to fall asleep at his desk! He's such a good husband. When he left this morning he put Aston's preschool stuff by the door, made the kids and me breakfast and put Tera in the bath to play (where she stayed for hours) Still, don't expect me to be too chipper and upbeat these days. Also-don't talk about "Any day now" or "you're getting close." In fact- at this point it is even dangerous grounds to ask "How are you doing?" I feel like I could verbally attack anyone who says the "wrong thing" (Which is everything at this point). On that happy note- Christmas is only 10 days away- can you believe it?!

8 comments:

Ashley and Dave said...

Any day now... you are getting close :)
Ha.

melissa gargalis said...

I'm so sorry Kyra. Contractions are no fun, but to have them on and off and getting your hopes up, sheesh, it's a good thing newborns are so sweet, that we forgive them for teasing us when their arrival will be. Hang in there. Let me know if you need anything.

Leslie said...

I think I remember reading that if you have warm up contractions the labor will be quicker and easier. I hope that's not the wrong thing to say...ok, so that was my 3rd attmept to respond to your post without affending....tee hee. How's Matt's application with CHP going?

The Gray Family said...

those last few weeks are so hard...and so LONG!!! Sorry it wasn't the real deal yet!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok so I guess all I will say then is AWWWwwwww.... I really do feel bad!

Heather said...

Oh kyra! I'm sorry! That doesn't sound like fun, I don't look forward to that! Let me know if I can do anything for you!!

Rebecca said...

I feel your pain. I have 7 more weeks to go and I am already ready to have this kid. I hit a wall about two weeks ago and EVERYTHING that was pretty easy for me to do is now a monumental task to say the least! So for your sake I will hope and pray you go soon!

Dani said...

Yay Kyra! Michelle just told me that you had our baby! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to see your little cutie pie! We had so many false alarms with Jordan before he actually came. It's so hard deciding if you should go to the hospital or not... so not fun.. especially to get there only to have to go back home pregnant. Anyways.. I hope you recover fast and that you get lots of help these next few weeks. Sorry I can't do much since I'm leaving in a few days! xo