Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ten years ago-

My sister Tera Lynn Smith disappeared August 22, 1998, ten years ago today.
I think of her everyday. I wonder what she would be like today. I wonder what career path she would have chosen. What type of man she would have married, if she would have children? I think of how our children would have been able to play together and sometimes I feel cheated out of having an older sister with me today.

I am grateful for the many ways Tera touched my life. I feel so blessed to have her as my older sister. Tera was older than me by a year. We played together and fought together as all sisters do. Tera was spunky, fun loving and spontaneous. She was eccentric and had a love of nature and people. Her room was decorated from thrift store items and thrift store clothes made up the majority of her closet. She was unique in everyway. She even created her own backpacks, skirts out of neck ties and necklaces out of bottoms. She often had candles burning in her room while Enya or Tori Amos was playing in the background. She was adventurous and fearless. She loved to go cliff jumping, snowboarding, wakeboarding, horseback riding. Tera did not hold back on emotion, she let her emotions show, in a way that I never have and I think few ever do. She was beautiful with her blonde hair and green eyes and perfect body. She was athletic and excelled at all the sports she played- softball, basketball and volleyball. She was the type of person you wanted to hate- out of sheer envy, but it was impossible not to love her.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Heather said...

Kyra, I love you and your ability to share these memories of your sister. I can't imagine how hard this is for you and your family and I hope I never have to. You are such an example to me and I'm so glad to have you in my life. Please let me know if I can do anything for you, I really want to hug you right now!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Your sister would be proud of this amazing tribute! She sure was beautiful!!!

Niki McDowell said...

I'm so glad you posted that. It is great to know more about your sister. I can't imagine how her being gone has affected your family. But its so great you have all those memories of her.

Melissa said...

I am sure your sister is so proud of you and is sharing joy through your motherhood. You are an amazing example of strength and love.

Rebecca said...

Well I don't think August is your month ;)! Joking aside, I am sorry to read about Matt's brother. Thank you for sharing such a tender things about your sister. She really sounds like a wonderful person. Please let Jason or I know if there is anything we can do for you. Love you guys! Miss you! You will be in our prayers.

melissa gargalis said...

Kyra, my heart is breaking for you and your family. I think it is so sweet that your daughter is named after your sister and that she seems to have some of that spunk you described your sister having. It will be a wonderful reunion someday. Hang in there.

The Gray Family said...

I knew you had a sister who wasn't around any more, but I had no idea what happened. How awful to not have any closure, and always have a small part of you wondering if she's out there somewhere. I think your little Tera will grow up to have just as much fun-loving spunk as her namesake! I'm sorry about Matt's brother as well. Let us know if you need anything!

Amy Eaton said...

Sometimes it can be so hard to remember the good times and not focus on the bad that happens. I'm sorry to hear about Matt's brother and his job hope that some leads come up quickly. Michael's job is up in the air right now with his boss passing it doesn't look like they will be able to keep things going. So we are looking also. Try not to stress!! I keep telling myself the same thing some days are eaiser than others. Being prego adds a wrench in there also!! How's your legs are they hurting has bad as last time?

Hannah&Kellin said...

Kyra- it is really special that you wrote this. I had a moment yesterday when I realized it was 10 years ago. A moment that made me laugh and smile about all the stupid and hilarious things on Loch and Smith PLace that Tera was a part of. You are an amazing person and your family continues to amaze me. I love you.
Hannah

rachelle said...

Ky,
thanks for your sweet tribute to tera. i have wondered about what she would be like today too, and i know she would be that same fun tera. i can hear that tera giggle right now. :) your fam is so strong and i'm glad i was able to spend a summer with you that year and do some growing myself... love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

You are AMAZING KYRA!! I FREAKIN ADORE YOU in EVERY WAY!!! You are seriously A WONDERFUL sister and I know this MONTH is CRAZY!! I am sorry for things happening right now...YOU KNOW if you NEED ANYTHING, you let me know BABE!! I can't wait for the newest babe too!! So HAPPY for you and your FAMILY!! ;) LOVE YA GIRLY!!!