Thursday, August 21, 2008

My favorite memory with Tera happened the year before she disappeared. It was a rainy day and we were sitting at home with nothing to do. Tera asked me to go bike riding and I did not want to because it was pouring outside. However, Tera is very persuasive, so she convinced me to go bike riding in the rain with her. We went for about a half hour and I think I was pretty miserable the whole time and probably complaining loudly. Then we rode our bikes over a ditch in the dirt road with a huge puddle to the side of it. Tera got off her bike so I got off mine. She wandered over to the puddle and I followed behind her. Before I knew it, she was tackling me in the muddy puddle of water and splashing me with it. Soon we were wrestling around in the water. I don't think we stopped laughing for several minutes after that and we continued to laugh the rest of the ride home. I am so glad I went on that bike ride with her- that memory is priceless to me.

Another memory I have of Tera that will always be one of my favorites is having slumber parties. We would often call each other on the phone-( the upstairs phone to the downstairs phone) and see if the other person wanted to have a slumber party. We would just stay the night in each others rooms and talk until we had to fall asleep. I loved it and continued the tradition with my little sister Sierra. Sisters truly do make the best of friends.

I think of Tera whenever I do something impulsive- like run in the rain with my children, climb a hill just for fun, or push myself to jump off something higher than I feel comfortable doing. I think of her when I see something beautiful, or when I go to the beach because she appreciated the beauty found in nature. I think of her when I let my guard down and let my emotions show- show that I am happy to see someone- she had the ability to make people feel loved and special- like they were all that mattered at that moment- what a gift.

I do know that I will see be with Tera again and I that it will be a joyous reunion. I picture her running up to me, hugging me and tackling me out of excitement- and I will return her enthusiasm.
These articles are related to her dissaperance.

8 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Kyra that is a very touching tribute to your sister. I can not imagine what you have been through. I have a sister that I am also very close with and can not imagine something like that happening. I am so happy to know that you have the gospel in your life and that you know that you will see your beautiful sister some day! I am so sorry that you and your family ever had to experience something like this. It is so good to hear all of the good things that remind you of her. She sounds like she was amazing!!! I am pretty sure I would have LOVED to be her buddy! Just like I LOVE BEING YOURS!!!

Alyse Burt said...

Kyra that was so inspiring, you have a beautiful way with words. I kept thinking how you will be able to share all those fun secret sister traditions with your girls. We are so sorry to hear about Matt's brother. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you guys during this hard time. I love how your testimony shone through these entries, you are amazing too!

Anonymous said...

I AM LIKE CRYING GIRL!! I do have to say I would have LOVED to be your sister!! ;) Some of smallest and simplest things and the BESTEST memories!! ;)

Vanessa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Reading through all your memories of your sister explains a lot about you and your personality and the things that you do. I read through both websites and I can't help but think about my friend who was murdered in her home. They never found the killer and some how it makes the pain harder to bare not knowing the full story. Thank you for sharing these memories with us. knowing that you will see her again I hope gives you Comfort. I am so glad that I've gotten to know you and I hope that we can become even better friends.

Ashley and Dave said...

For some reason I have never forgotten about your sister. I am glad that you have so many good memories to remember her by.

Ashley and Dave said...

I just realized that you named your daughter after her and it made me ball like a baby.

Anonymous said...

Kyra-

I had no idea your family had faced such a difficult trial. I am so sorry for your loss and hope your family finds some resolution someday. It was awesome to read about all your memories you have together. Now I know where your little Tera gets her name. I always wondered about that. What a special connection they will have....

Michelle said...

I can't believe it has been 10 years already...it seems like we were just barely at EFY up in Seattle that summer. Your post was beautiful, I enjoyed reading about Tera because I didn't know her all that well...but I do remember all her thrift clothes! She was always trying to talk us into buying thrift clothes with her :)