Friday, October 9, 2009

Lost at Disneyland

Last week I went to Disneyland with my friend Melissa. We were on the last ride of a fun, exhausting, hot evening. We had successfully made it through Disneyland and California adventures with six kids and no husbands without any major incidents (besides the fact that I was bribing my son to be good at Disneyland- which infuriates me thinking that I have such a spoiled kid... I mean should I really have to bribe my kid to go on rides and be good at the happiest place on earth?) Then after our last ride, the Toy Store ride, we go out the exit, which oh so cleverly leads you through the store where the kids try, inevitably to get you to buy them a toy. I tell Ashton and Tera both to put back the toys they are holding and apparently lose my focus for a moment because when I look to make sure they have both put the toys back on the shelf I do not see Tera. Ashton stays with Melissa while I tell the store's employee that my little girl is missing. A customer in the store asks what she looks like and what she is wearing and I give her the details. Panic begins to set in. I run up the stairs we just came down searching for my little girl.She's not upstairs, I run back down. At this point it hasn't even been five minutes but my emotions are running high as I picture my sweet little Tera afraid and alone. I find myself struggling to hold on to faith and keep fear out by keeping a prayer in my heart- telling myself not to overreact, which seems to be a built in part of being a woman, especially a mother. At this moment, the lady who asked what my daughter looked like came back holding Tera. She had found her walking the opposite direction looking for her mother. I knelt down next to Tera and held her while we cried together. I have never felt that relieved and felt my fear washed away so quickly with gratitude- Gratitude for my prayer begin answered, and gratitude to this stranger for helping me find my child. I didn't express my gratitude to her as I should of, I was too excited to hold my little girl. But I am so deeply grateful to her. This experience was just a reminder to not take these little ones for granted and to show them my love daily. That night on the way home Tera and I were talking about when she got lost.


Mom: Tera were you scared when you didn't know where Mommy was?

Tera: Yea cuz I can't live without you.

Mom: I can't live without you either

Tera: Yea, because we love each other.


And then I cried again. And all night after we got home I kept sneaking in her bedroom just to watch her sleep thinking how grateful I am for Tera and for all of my family.


I took Ashton and Tera on the Grizzy river run while Melissa watched Mazzi. It was so cute seeing how excited and a little bit scared they were. Tera was convinced she was going to fall off with each rapid. Each time we made it throgh one she said "we didn';t fall off!" It has now been three weeks and she will say "Remember at disneyland when we didn't fall off?"

Mazzi and Lyric holding their disneyland soccors.Tera and Tatum with brother bear.

Mazzi at Brother bears play area. For some reason this is my favorite part of California Adventure. She was such a good girl this night.


Ashton climbing the wall at the brother bear play area. We had a great day- but have taken a few weeks off to recover. We'll be ready to go again next week I am sure :)

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Todd + Emily said...

That is really scary! I'm sorry that happened to you... But glad that she is ok and home!!!

Heather said...

NOT FUN AT ALL!! I don't look forward to stuff like that, I'm going to by aleash as soon as Mitch is walking.. yep ui'm going to be one of those mothers!

melissa gargalis said...

goose bumps on my arms. I totally hate those moments of "where is my child"! So scary. So glad she wasn't far. I hope you've recovered from your heart attack...your botique was awesome by the way. You are so creative.

Leslie said...

Ok, that made me cry, I'm so glad you found her. W=

Bryce and Sierra Hannibal said...

Geez...I'm getting more emotional everyday! Just reading your blog I cried...like....a lot! Oh...and you think that's pathetic...when I'm in nursery, I often times find myself getting all choked up and teary eyed reading the kids childrens books. They always look up at me like "what's your deal?" REDICULOUS! Love you Ky...glad you found your little girl!

Vanessa said...

Oh my gosh Kyra, how scary. I was tearing up reading through this. I'm glad the lord kept her safe and that you had your composure to do the right thing.

The Cook Fam said...

Oh I feel your pain! We lost Cam at Disneyland just over a year ago and I thought I was going to implode as the minutes went by. He was missing for about 20 minutes! Thought I was going to die! Just like you the whole rest of the night I was holding him so tight. He actually told me I was hurting his hand. Apparently I was hanging to tight enough he couldn't possibly get lost again. I'm thrilled that Tera was found and hope for you that that's the last time you go through that. It's got to be one of the worst feelings ever!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok your story made me cry!!! SO freaky but so sweet in the end! I do not know what I would do, probably exactly what you did, well hopefully! Sometimes it is good to remember how precious these little lives are that heavenly father gives us to take care of and protect! Glad you all had fun and that it worked out in the end!

Annette Rose said...

Isnt that the worst feeling ever?! It's amazing how quickly it can happen. Glad everything turned out all right!

Todd and Kara said...

I love when I cry reading blogs I mean honestly. So scary...I can only imagine. But it looks like the day was filled with lots of fun too! Love all the fun pictures.

the Chandler chronicles said...

Crying! That is horible! I remember loosing Brook and feeling like the world's worst mom! Is it always the middle one? Glad it has a happy ending.