Friday, March 14, 2008

Dishwasher Dilemna



Is it common for people to be very opinionated about how the dishwasher should be loaded? In our family it is. It stems from my Grandpa Scrimsher. He has firm beliefs that the bowls should all be facing the center of the dishwasher. My mom acquired some interesting techniques herself. She feels that the glasses should be alternated from plastic to glass so that the glass doesn't bump against another breakable glass and cause it to break. She also thinks that anything over the size of a plate should be washed by hand. Pots and pans in the dishwasher is a sin in her home. My dad feels strongly that all silverware should be pointed up. I have no opinions on dishwasher loading techniques because I decided this was one area I could be laid back in and not take on the anal dishwasher tactics. I put the plates and bowls haphazardly in the dishwasher, my silverware is scattered everywhere and I even throw in pots and pans whenever there is sufficient space.(I know, I live on the wild side) However, I married Matt who also has strong opinions on dishwasher loading- I do not know why because he never unloads the dishwasher. But, often times I will catch him taking out dishes I have put in the dishwasher and reloading them in just the right way. It seems that Ashton, at the young age of four, has already been influenced by the dishwasher gene. Yesterday I had him load his silverware in the dishwasher for the first time, because I felt he was old enough. He took his spoon and looked at the rows of silverware in the dishwasher and said "why are there forks in the spoon aisle?" Then he proceeded to take the forks out and place them in their "proper place" and put his spoon amongst the other ones in the now declared "spoon aisle." What have we done!

5 comments:

Alyse Burt said...

I have to say I'm a bit picky about the dishwasher. I just know that if you do it a certain way you can fit more in. I love Ashton's comments! When are you coming? Please say you'll visit us! Oh, I'm in love with digital scrapbooking! I never thought I'd see the day.

Heather said...

Yeah... I'm all about dishwasher rules! I'm with your mom on the nothing bigger than a plate thing and glasses hitting each other thing and a few other rinsing/soaking issues, I'm officially OCD about my dishwasher and Seth and I really had it out a couple weeks ago about it! We now have rules for each other to follow and since then it has been much better! LOL! I LOVED THIS! Tell Ashton that putting the spoons all together is a bad idea because sometimes they "spoon" together and do not get fully cleaned! :)

Melissa said...

Yeah, I am little dishwasher anal... Ryan is no longer aloud to load the dishes... he always claims that there is not enough room and leaves half of the dishes in the sink, so I have to show him how to correctly load everything- there is always more room (my motto). I should probably get over it.

The Gray Family said...

this made me laugh...I had no idea there was a rulebook for dishwashers. Tell Ashton he better never look inside my dishwasher or the poor kid might have a heart attack!

Annette Rose said...

There's definately a right and wrong way at my house, my way and the wrong way... I share alot of the opinions of your mom, I find myself reloading them all the time. How dumb! Like I have nothing better to do! Anyway, that made me laugh!