Sunday, August 9, 2009

Our Trip- Part Two

I returned yesterday from our family reunion at Rockaway Beach, Oregon. It had been four years since our family had met up at the beach and it was so nice to be there together. We stayed in a beach house (Tera called it the "sand house") together for a week. Rockaway Beach will always hold a special place in my heart as a place where wonderful family memories have been made. Here is a picture of the whole gang.
The girls...The traditional grand kid pyramid. I must say I felt a bit burly when they said my spot was on the bottom with all the guys. I guess I am that tough :)
The Smith family. I was so excited when my sister Sierra surprised me and showed up. Neither of our hubby's and Trevor and Sandra were able to make it. We missed them. Hopefully the next reunion we can all be there.
Even though the water was freezing, it didn't keep us from jumping around in the waves...
going in the raft...
And boogie boarding. The water was so cold it really was painful. It took my feet about ten minutes to go numb. But I think the whole time I was in the water I had a grimace on my face. It was a lot of fun, but I am definitely a wimp when it comes to the cold. California beach water is even cold for me.I thought the kids looked adorable in these little wetsuits. Ashton's favorite part of the beach trip was visiting the tide pools. He was chatting away the whole time about the sea anemone's (he called them spitting aliens because they squirted liquid out if you stepped on them) the star fish (how they would grow a new leg if one fell off and a new one would grow from the leg that had come off), and the crabs. He was fascinated with every part of the adventure and was completely in his element, climbing up rocks and exploring. I loved watching him. He said "this is the most fun I've had in my whole life."
I think these pictures really capture the beauty of the Oregon Coast.Tera found a baby crab at the tide pool.At the house we enjoyed each others company playing games, eating meals (and treats) and chatting. My Grandma even put together a service project where we put together several hygiene kits to send to countries needing them. My Grandma and Grandpa are great examples of service, love and compassion and are always looking for ways to better the world. Here the kids are with their Grandpa holding the hygiene kits they put together.Tera developed a bit of a crush on her second cousin, Skyler. It was so cute to watch him play with her. She always wanted to know where Skyler was and wanted to be right next to him. I think she got a bit jealous when I told her that he was already married. Maybe she will have a thing for guys with beards later on in life?Going to the Tillamook Cheese Factory has also become a tradition. We go there each reunion and get ice cream and free cheese samples. The ice cream cone I had there was the best ice cream I ever remember having. We also went on the cheese tour. The kids were pretty fascinated by that.
Tera always wanted to go on walks. About three times a day she would ask to go on a walk (not on the beach though) She liked racing her Nana and Mom along the road. This will always be a special memory to me. Mazzi liked the walks as well.
Almost as much as she liked... Eating the sand and seaweed, and...
being snuggled by her Great Grandma (Gigi). Grandma Scrimsher spent a lot of time holding this little one and getting Mazzi to sleep while Mazzi sang herself to sleep. I think Mazzi got spoiled being held as often as she was. I rarely put her down because there was so much sand at the beach and so many people at the house that she couldn't really play on the floor. Besides, Matt would be upset if Mazzi learned to crawl while we are away from him so I have tried to keep her off the floor so that she won't learn. So far it has worked quite well. She is still mostly just scooting along. However, a tooth did break through today so Matt is concerned that she is growing up without him. We are so excited to be reunited with Matt in three days. We have been apart 12 days so far.Other beach highlights-- Seeing Sierra play with my kids. She is such a great, fun Aunt for them.Going on a bike ride with my beautiful, silly Aunt Leslie
Watching the cousins bury each other over and over again.
Playing the pop the balloon game on the beach. Ashton was pretty upset after losing at this game. It was his first experience being the youngest and not being the best at everything. It was a hit on his ego when he got out first. Poor little guy. And I didn't even notice that he was out or sad because I was so concerned about myself winning.

Soaking in the sandy hot tub after a cold day at the beach.
And eating funnel cakes at a candy store in Rockaway. It was so delicious!

Thank you Grandma and Grandpa for organizing this. We had such a great time and made memories that will be with us forever. We love you and feel blessed to have such an amazing family.

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

Looks like so much fun I wanna come with you next year :) I love that you didn't even know Ashton was out of the game because you were too involved in winning, Hilarious!!!

Leslie said...

We made some great memories at the beach! What a wonderful tradition. Looking over all you pictures from your vacation, I am amazed at everything you packed into a few weeks. Go Kyra!

Melissa said...

Looks like a blast! We are missing you guys though... are you EVER planning on coming back???

Annette Rose said...

It was so fun to see you while you were here. It looks like the beach was awesome! You got some GREAT pictures. I love the close up one of you and the kids.

Sarah said...

looks like so much fun! will you guys be at stoneridge next summer? we are planning on it, it will be so fun to see everyone for a few days... i can't wait!!!

The Cook Fam said...

Looks like soooo much fun. I'm sure Matt is so bummed to be missing out.