Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ashtons in Kindergarten!

Ashton started Kindergarten August 17, 2009. His teacher is Mrs. Welch. I must admit that as I pulled out of the school parking lot I began to cry. It seems official that my son can now be influenced by things outside my control and that was a sad moment for me. For four hours of nearly every day, someone else has him under their care. Someone else in influencing them, looking after him and teaching him. And all I know of what is going on is what he tells me. "What did you do today?" "Nothing." While I will welcome the break during the day from my crazy boy (who is currently locked in the bathroom for time-out as I blog about how I love him), it does make me sad that my boy is growing up and beginning the long road to responsibility. His carefree days are coming to an end in a small way. Very small in that his one homework assignment for the week is to decorate a gingerbread man. But still, he is growing up.

Here he is with one of his best buddies, Brandon, getting ready to go to class. They aren't in the same class together. Ashton was a little upset that none of his friends were in his class, but I was relieved. He said that he did make one friend, "Scissors" at school. After talking about it for a while, we realized he meant "Cesar." He still calls him scissors though.
After his first day of school I asked him if he liked it. He said "it is hard. We work really hard in class."
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Hannah&Kellin said...

This is too cute! Glad you are home safe- we miss you. Tell Ashton to have fun

Candy Fam said...

When Caden went to kindergarten, I was so brave and told everyone how excited I was to have him away from the house for a little while. I was even happy walking him to his class and saying goodbye. But as soon as I got back in the car without him, it hit me so hard! I cried for about 5 minutes before I could drive off. It is so hard. Now Calli is going to first grade at her first public school and I am a wreck and I still have a week before it starts.

Alyse Burt said...

I have to admit I followed the school bus for nearly a week and watched over my steering wheel to make sure Cameron got into Kindergarten okay. Katie starts preschool tomorrow, I'm sad she is already 4 and big enough to go to preschool. But I'm excited for three mornings a week with just Spencer!

Todd + Emily said...

Hillarious that he calls his friend scissors hahahahah!! Can't believe he is kindegarten that is awesome!!!

The Cook Fam said...

He's turning into a man Kyra! He looks so cute on his first day! I'm sure there will be some good stories about Ashton's schooldays in the future. We will all be interested to hear them!

Melissa said...

Aww.. he is always welcome to come back to Miss Melissa's. (Tatum has moved onto bigger better things, too.)

Heather said...

Ok the "scissors" killed me!! I thought he was saying he only made a friend in a pair of scissors! LOL! So funny!! Love all the pics and the post frojm your vacation, we've missed you!

Katie said...

O my gosh, that's funny scissors!