Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm becoming my mother!


Matt and I have been looking for ways to stretch the budget (I hate to budget!) But at this point in our lives am realizing the necessity of it and how smart it is. So- in my attempt to save money on groceries I decided to set up a weekly menu and then do my grocery shopping at Winco. (My mom of course promoting this idea)I decided that I would spend 100.00 there. So, I went with my list in hand and bargain shopped away- counting up the money in my head as I shopped (something I had never done before) At checkout I spent 101.72 and it was so fun shopping as a sort of game. I never thought I would enjoy this bargaining but it really was fun- I would encourage all to do it. Even if you feel like you have enough money to shop at the "nice stores" like Vons- I think you would be amazed at how much you would save at Winco- I took a pic of all the groceries I got for a 100- this is after I put all the refrigerated stuff away.

I know I am going on and on- but they also have these green bags that you can buy for 1.00. Then each time you use them they take off 6 cents- which isn't a ton- but you are doing your eco-friendly part as well as saving money if you use them 17 times- is my math right? Wow- I really am becoming my mother!

8 comments:

The Gray Family said...

impressive Kyra! I have never been to Winco but will have to check it out sometime. When we were newlyweds, we lived right across the street from Ralph's (which doubled coupons). Every week my game was to try to save more in coupons than I actually spent. Of course i ended up buying a lot of junk I didn't need (or end up using because it was such a great "deal." Bargain hunting can be quite a thrill sometimes :>)

Melissa said...

We took your advice and went to Winco in Saturday. I was totally impressed with the deals... we got out of there under $70. I think maybe we lost the savings in gas, but we will make the stop every time we are down in Temecula.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

LOVE your post and that is a great idea! I have heard people RAVE about Winco, I was just wondering if it was worth the drive with the gas prices but maybe I will check it out next time.
I love that you think of it as a game.
Also, it's not so bad to become your mommy! You turned out amazing so you seem to be heading in the right direction ;)

melissa gargalis said...

Nice haul. My sister swears by Winco. I just wish it was a little closer to us, maybe when they ever build one close to us that's what it will be. Did you go to the one off the 215?...did you know there's one there? Way to budget, that is one of our biggest expenses-groceries and I can think of so many more fun ways to spend money than on food...some day.

Anonymous said...

way to go kyra! i wish we had a winco here...

Vanessa said...

I LOVE Winco. We do all our major shopping there! They have make your our peanut butter and honey.

Bryce and Sierra Hannibal said...

man...wouldn't that be nice to NOT have to budget like that every time we go shopping! I'm getting pretty good at guessing what the total is. Bryce and i guess every time at the check out and i always win! I am a big list person...I have a list for EVERYTHING...literally. I got it from mom also! I tell Bryce anytime we're almost out of something or he uses something up to write it on "the list" but with no success....I'll be in the middle of making a huge meal (rare) and the key ingredient will be gone...so much for going in once a week for groceries..good thing i love him! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW, I think I need to go there!! CRAP!! I spend WAY TOO MUCH where I go!! I think we should all go in my truck and shop at the same time with NO KIDS!! That would be RAD!! I think I wanna go there sometime for real though!! ;)