Monday, September 8, 2008

$105 down the toilet


Ashton swallowed a metal marble 10 tens ago. He was playing with it and for some reason decided to put it in in his mouth- then accidentally choked on it. I looked up on the handy Internet that he should be fine and should pass the marble in 4-5 days. It said that if the child complained of nausea or stomach pain to take him in to the doctors. After 8 days without passing the marble (that I knew of) and him complaining a few times about his stomach I was growing a little concerned. Then, on the eighth night since the marble swallowing incident, he woke up in the middle of the night screaming that his stomach hurt and acting like he was going to throw up. So, I decided I better take the poor child in.




I get to the doctors office- pay my 65.00 copay and then see the doctor who says that he definitely would have passed a marble by now because they are so smooth and little. He said he would do an x-ray to make sure (another 40.00) We get the x-ray done, and sure enough, there is the little marble inside my sons bowel. While viewing the x-ray we had a good talk about how we only put food in our mouths. The doctor looks at the x-ray and says it should pass within a few days. Since the Doctors was so intelligent to begin with saying he definitely would have passed it. But,sure enough, the next day Ashton passes the marble. We are all quite excited to have the little matter over with, but I wish Ashton would have passed it one day earlier and saved us the 105.00.

10 comments:

rachelle said...

what a cute little butt!!

DenosClan said...

This is a story to tell the girls when he starts dating! I'm so glad that it has a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

all i can say is WOW....i still haven't recovered from the syrup spill you wrote about!

marcie said...

Don't you just hate that. do I take him to the dr or not? I felt so bad I put off taking grant in for a "little" limp when he was 2 then found out later he had a hairline fracture in his leg. oh well, we do the best we can:)

Amy Eaton said...

Boys!!you got to love them.

Sarah said...

holy cow... i swear that every time i pay the ER copay or even urgent center, they don't do anything! they just say "wait it out". so frustrating to spend $100 to hear that, but better safe than sorry. darn kids! :)

Lyd Stew said...

That is a crazy story. Man- I need to check your blog more often for a good laugh! I forget how fun Ashton is! I'm also blown away by how much a Dr. can make off of one visit, and how little some of them know or do. :) Hopefully they are getting better.

Melissa said...

I hope that marble gets a special display spot in your house... it has made quite the journey.

Anonymous said...

HA!! That is HILARIOUS!! I am sorry you had to worry about that!! YOU are an AWESOME MAMA!! ;)

Ryan Burt said...

This is possibly the best post on the internet. I laughed until I cried when I read this.