Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An emotional party

Ashton wanted to have a birthday party with some of his Redding buddies. He was so excited about it. He gave out invitations to a few friends from church, some friends in his class at school and then to two of my friends sons. Because we have never had good luck with friends from school attending parties (especially since I don't know any of the parents) I decided to double check with everyone that I knew and remind them about the party. I texted and posted on face book a few days before the event so that I would know that he would at least have a few guests coming. Ashton is my son, so is a planner, and wants everything to be how he pictures it and wants everyone to be there that says they are coming. So there were a total of five boys that said they would be coming for sure. Anytime Ashton talked about his party I would say all nine boys might not be there, but at least five would be.

The day of the party I brought Ashton's friend Riley, who is also my moms neighbor with us tot the Fun Center. His buddy from church was there, and luckily he had come with his mom who brought his two bothers who were also close to Ashton's age. Ashton kept looking around and waiting for his other friends to show up and I could tell he was getting sad. Anytime a car pulled up and it wasn't one of his friends he would get very disappointed. He and Tera spent hours making place mats for each guests out of paper, glue and glitter. Each one saying the guests name. So, when few guests arrived, the place mats made him even more aware of all the guests who had not show up and the empty spots at the table.

An hour into the party, with only two guests I decided to call my two friends who said they would be bringing their boys (keep in mind these friends are some of my only close friends in Redding) Much to my dismay they had both forgotten about the party, despite my reminders. I thought I was going to have an emotional break-down. And I did have bit of one. It was just another reminder of why its been hard for me to live in Redding. I have few friends and some of the ones I have are very un-reliable. I felt like I had been open to them about my lack of good friends here and yet they had still let me down. So, I told them that Ashton was very sad that he only had two friends show up. They ended up coming to the party late and it made Ashton happy to have more of his buddies show up and made me happy that they put in the effort (even if it was purely out of guilt)

I know I have my flaky moments as a friend but I really hope I don't have many of those moments because it is hurtful to have that happen. I try not to hold a grudge, aware that things happen, but the more it becomes a common occurrence the more it puts a strain on our friendship. I was glad we had another birthday party planned for Ashton in Lake Elsinore where I was confident people would show up and not flake out. I am grateful for reliable friends. I have determined that to be one of the most important characteristics in a friend.

Here are a few pictures at the birthday party. He did end up having a nice birthday party. Ashton requested a Recces birthday cake.



1 comment:

Bryce and Sierra Hannibal said...

Poor Ash....yeah I've never had any reliable friends and have always been jealous of how many great friends you have in Elsinore. It's hard to keep inviting people or trying to be friends with people when it's one sided and when they cancel minutes before or show up 30 min. late without calling and letting us know...we gave up on having friends cuz we were doing EVERYTHING and they were doing ablsolutely nothing. :( We love you..wish i could have been there. Sorry it was a rough day!