Monday, June 14, 2010

Changes...

Two years ago, when Matt was laid off from his job with Windswept, Matt applied to California highway patrol. He took his physical test, written test, his physchological test, a lie detector test and had multiple interviews. He passed all the test and we waited... and waited and waited. In the meantime Matt went through training with AAA and began working for them November of 2008. Matt would occasionally call his background officer to see how the process was going. We found out over eight months ago that he had was accepted and was just awaiting a date for the academy, depending on how the hiring went. We waited some more. For a while I thought of the CHP everyday when I would get the mail and would wonder when we would hear from them. But after two years I stopped thinking about it as much. Especially as Matt became more successful at his job and actually enjoyed it. Then, Friday I went to get the mail and saw a manila envelope with CHP on it. I called Matt immediately and he gave me permission to open it (I've never been good at waiting to open mail) I read him the letter telling him that he was accepted and that the Academy began July 26th and that he needed to tell them within 24 hours if he accepted or declined to attend. So our weekend was spent writing pros and cons lists, praying, fasting, thinking, thinking, thinking. We are both grateful to be able to have Heavenly guidance when making these kind of decisions. And we are also grateful that we both came to the same conclusion via the inspiration we received. So as of this morning- 10 am, Matt accepted his offer to attend the California Highway Patrol Academy. In the middle of July I will move down to stay with my parents in Redding while Matt attend the rigorous six months academy in Sacramento. In Redding I will get to see Matt on the weekends, which would not be a possibility if we stayed here and I will have the help of both Matt and my parents while my hubby is gone. We still have several details to work out- like what to do with our home, where the kids will attend school in Redding, informing my work and Matt's work that we will be leaving, changing vacation plans for summer, figuring out what the heck you pack when you leave for six months... but we are excited. I have always enjoyed change for some reason. We are hoping that after the Academy (assuming Matt passes :) Matt will be able to be stationed somewhere close to Elsinore so we can return to our wonderful friends. I really do love it here and it would be ideal to return, but I don't think we will know until the last month of the academy where we will be stationed so we are just making one decision at a time and dealing with one transition at a time. So wish us luck (especially Matt as he will get grilled every day!) in this new adventure!

12 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

WOW a totally new adventure for sure! CONGRATS!!!! That is so exciting and I am so glad that something has worked out for you guys after all this time! If you need help with anything PLEASE let us know! We will be SO SAD to have you go :( But are happy for your new adventure!

The Cook Fam said...

I am so happy for you guys! I do hope for you guys (if it's what you want) that you get to move back to LE. It is a wonderful place that I know you will miss (from experience). We love you guys!

the Chandler chronicles said...

Wow! My heart is kind of sinking you're leaving, but I am ecstatic for this new journey your family will embark on. You've been in my thoughts all weekend, so glad you two made the decision together. When we are in SJ we will have to come see you :) So...I have moving boxes, but if you want them you have to let me help fill them up ;)!

Meagan said...

I'm crying right now. Not really but I feel like I should be. I will miss you tons and will be waiting anxiously for your family to be returned to its rightful place!!!!

melissa gargalis said...

that is so exciting!! You'll be missed here, but what an adventure for you and how fun to spend some time with your family. Patience pays off, I love that you guys kept going on with your lives when you didn't hear back from the CHP and now look! So excited for you guys!

The Gray Family said...

we are excited for this opportunity for you, but we will miss you! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come back!!!

Leslie said...

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you guys. It's great that you can stay with your M&D, I know they'll love having you! Good luck!

Katie said...

Woweee talk about God working in mysterious ways. Congrats, Matt! YOu will do awesome... good luck!

The BRU Crew said...

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME?!!! AHHHH!! JK! ;) I am HAPPY, but SAD to know of this...we had seriously had like routine here!! I KNOW you guys will enjoy the JOURNEY and will come back...if you need ANYTHING, I AM SO THERE! ;) I LOVE YOU THOMPSONS!!!!

Jerry and Kathryn said...

So excited for you guys. We will look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Spencer P. said...

Sweet! I have no doubt Matt will do fine. Emily and I were talking about you guys today. It has been several years sinse we've seen you, and right now we wish we could live closer. Good Luck.

Dani said...

Oh my goodness! Good for you! I can't believe these fast changes everyone is going through! Congrats on the good news! I hope all goes well!