Monday, September 14, 2009

San Clemete Camping

We had a great time on the annual(?) camping trip to San Clemente with the Nelsons, McDowell's and Grays.

Things I learned/re-learned during the vacation:
The preparation for camping is exhausting
Fire is hot
Smores are good
The ocean is powerful
Camping is dirty
The Laundry aftermath is overwhelming
Camping is fun
Sunglasses should not be worn when playing in ocean
Mazzi loves dogs and the ocean
Ashton can be mean to kids (sorry Amy)
Friends are wonderful..
We miss the Cooks

Upon getting ready to post this I realized that we did not get a single group shot, or even a family shot. This is the closest thing we got to a group picture, and also reflects my favorite memory- going out with the girls to play in the waves. The water was perfectly refreshing and we had a blast getting pummeled by the waves, even undressed by the waves in some instances.

Here are my dirty little campers at the end of the two day trip. I could not wait to get them home and bathe them~ or myself for that matter!


Here's Ashton doing what he did a good portion of the trip- fighting/tormenting Brendan (also know as the "wild beast." Who knows why Ashton feels like he should bully Brendan. Thanks Gray's for beign such good sports about it. Even when Ashton has said things like "I don't like that boy (to "that boy's" own mother) or "Why are you still hear?" to their family. I hope they know that Matt and I love their family enough to make up for Ashtons apathy towards them!
I love this picture of Amy and her little boys.

Ashton's favorite part of camping is the fire and roasting marshmallows. He loved to make them for Matt and I and tell us how to roast them perfectly. "You keep them close to the flames for a little and then you touch them on the wood and then the last thing- you keep them in the flames for five minutes so they get really melty." I think Ashton is definitely happiest when he is camping. I asked him "Do you think camping is the best thing ever?" He said "No, the best thing would be living with Jesus." I said and then camping? "Yeah." See, he really does want to be a good little boy :)


Mazzi loved the ocean. She loved eating the sand...

... being buried in the sand...
... and playing in the waves with her Daddy.

Tera, however, was not fond of Mazzi playing in or by the ocean. She was very concerned anytime we let Mazzi near the water and would quickly pick her up and carry her far from the ocean. She was very protective of her and kept telling Matt and I to hold Mazz.

Mazzi and Lyric hanging out in the play pen, both sticking out their cute tongues.

Ashton on a bike ride with his Dad. The Grays brought their bikes and they were a big hit. The bike rides were actually Tera's favorite part, but I didn't capture it on film. She would often ask us to take her on a bike ride, "a long one."
And Mazzi with the Nelsons new dog, Sobe. Mazzi got so giddy every time she saw this dog. Matt decided it would be a good idea to put her in the pen with the dog, and it was. I think it was her favorite pat of the trip for sure, as well as Matt's. Very entertaining.
Good times... good friends... good memories...

4 comments:

Amy Eaton said...

So Fun! Camping really is soooo much work...I remember loving it as a kid and my kids love it too but I never realized how much work it is Totally worth it though.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Sounds and looks like it was a ton of fun! Glad you had a blast all together and cute shots that you got!

Todd + Emily said...

Cute pictures!!! I love that picture of amy with her boys so cute!! And Ashton tell you how to roast a marshmallow is so cute!!!

The Gray Family said...

that was a FUN FUN trip! And Ashton makes me laugh (I missed the "Why are you still here" moment apparently).