Sunday, June 14, 2009

What greater gift?

    

I feel blessed with the friends I have made here in Lake Elsinore. After living here only a few months I felt I had made friends that would become lifelong friends. In a way, since most of my friends here don't have family close by, we became a type of family. Celebrating some holidays together, having game nights, hanging out at the pool, doing girls nights, scrapbooking, etc. All of us girls have the same beliefs and standards and even have kids around the same age. We seem to live in a situation that could never be duplicated. I don't believe I could be anywhere else and find a GROUP of friends that I could love as much as I love the girls I have met living here. (Not to say that I don't have other great INDIVIDUAL friends- so those reading don't be offended) But as a group of friends- the group dynamic was just perfect. I knew that eventually someone would move or things would change in someway, because that is what life is all about-changes. So, the day came when Shelley informed us that she might be moving to Seattle. I don't think I ever really believe she was leaving us. But, yesterday she flew out of Lake Elsinore to Seattle, and left us all missing her and feeling a hole in the group. Girl nights and game nights and days at the pool will not be the same without Shelley and her family. We will miss them here but are grateful that they are lifelong friends. Her moving has made me really thank my Heavenly Father for friends and for those friendships that touch and shape our lives, we cannot take friendships for granted. We are placed in one anothers lives for a reason. So I love you Shelley- I love you all my friends! And thank you! 

I also needed to post my favorite hymn. This describes perfectly how I feel about my friends and this hymn has always held a special place in my heart.

'Each Life That Touches Ours for Good'':

What greater gift dost thou bestow,What greater goodness can we know

Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways. Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim, Devotion to the Savior's name,

Who bless our days with peace and love,  We praise thy goodness Lord above.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Aww, I love this post Kyra! I feel the same way and really couldn't say it any better! We are truly blessed here! I know we all have our seperate trials we have gone thru and still going thru and I know that without having the support we do here, I don't think we would be as happy as we all are! :) To friendship!

Todd + Emily said...

This is such a nice post! And let me just say again you girls did such a beautiful job on siging that hymn.

The Gray Family said...

Amen to that! I am very grateful for all the great gal pals I have made here. You guys are wonderful!

Virginia said...

Thanks for sharing. Love seeing a little peek into your happy lives. Keep smiling!!!

Vanessa said...

Fun post, I feel the exact same way!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I am either totally pregnant or this was really touching but I am pretty much going to cry any minute here!
I love this post and totally agree with every single word that you said! I can not imagine being anywhere else right now in my life and I appreciate so much the "group" of friends we all have here in this ward! We are all lucky to have one another! Beautiful post and I need to get into some of those pictures ;)

Niki McDowell said...

ok Kyra, I already was shedding the tears on Saturday when we said goodbye to the Cooks, now your making me all teary eyed again. But I just have to say amen to what you said, you put it in perfect words. And to second what Heather said- to friendship!

Meagan said...

This was an awesome post! I agree with all that has been said- appreciate all my friendships and feel so lucky to be here with all of you! Our friends are really the reason we are still here- can't imagine leaving any of you!!

The Cook Fam said...

Of course I have to pick today to check your blog. I just curled up by Ryan who is exhausted after being gone since 1:30 this morning. I told him I just need him to be my friend since he's the only friend I have here. And he's sleeping. Kyra what you said means so much. You are so very very kind and I love and miss you tons! I am so extremely excited that you're coming to see me in just a few weeks. Then I'll have 2 friends here! Ryan and you!! At least for the very short time that you'll be here.