Sunday, April 5, 2009

Conference













I love General Conference and look forward to the opportunity we have to listen to the prophet and apostles. There are always several messages that touch me and inspire me to be a better person.


At the same time however, conference seems to push Matt and I to our limits with the children. In the middle of a talk about loving children or being patient, I will find myself, ironically, on the verge of yelling at my children. They cannot handle us trying to watch something that long without entertaining them. It is especially odd because other days they might be perfectly content to watch a movie, play a game, build legos or dress up, but on the weekend of General Conference they don't let up for a minute! Even if we supply them with snacks, coloring crayons and toy they still run around the house screaming, slamming each others fingers in doors and driving us to near insanity while we are trying to be uplifted. We want them to be able to watch conference with us and get excited about seeing President Monson, and they do for a moment. But quickly afterwards they are back to wrestling with each other. Needless to say- with these three kiddos I wasn't able to focus as well as I would have liked and I will look forward to being able to read the conference talks in the Ensign and ponder the messages better then.






























Some things that touched me about conference were-
Talk on being frugal by: Robert D. Hales- Sat. AM Session
Need to control addictions- the addiction of wanting and joyfully live within our means. Addictions will never be satisfied. Loved that! We may think, if I go shopping this once more or get this one more thing I will be happy- but we will never be satisfied. When we go into debt we give away some of our agency. Debt will affect self worth. The appetite to posses worldly things can only be overcome by coming to Heavenly Father.

Jeffery R. Hollands talk on the atonement- how he knows what each of us is going through and how each of us most never deny or betray Christ, but declare ourselves as disciples and stand by Him as he stands by us. It was a beautiful and powerful talk.

Thomas Monsons talk on sacrifices and the story of the woman who lost her whole family immigrating. Made me realize how lucky we are and how we should not complain, for "In the world you will have tribulation, but fear not... I have overcome the world."

The song "We thank thee Oh God for a Prophet" along with the slide show of pictures of President Monson touched me. How blessed we are to have a prophet.

I don't know if these were the exact topics of the talks but that is what I got out of them. These are the ones I especially look forward to re-reading in the Ensign. Conference always builds my testimony and makes me want to be a better mother, wife, friend and daughter of God. I believe that is the point of conference- to motivate us and encourage us to "Stand A little Taller" as President Hinckley would say. (I miss him)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Dani said...

I am seriously tearing up after reading your notes on conference. I too had the same problem with crazy kids. Caden was so fussy and demanded our attention! I so badly wanted to listen but didn't get much in. Then when the kids were both sleeping I would end up falling asleep too! My whole young life I never understood the importance/goodness of conference until way after I graduated High School. You have some cute kids!

Vanessa said...

Yep, that was us trying to be spiritual during conference while Jackson is jumping on the ottoman asking why I'm not listening to him. I love conference too , it always gives me the boost I need to keep enduring!

The Gray Family said...

I feel like I could have written this same post...fortunately, nap time sees to coincide with the afternoon session so I got a break there :>) I think I will never forget the story Pres. Monson told about that poor woman who lost EVERYTHING. It makes me so grateful for everything that I have!