Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Purple Cobras- Mud Run

Last Saturday, Matt and I, along with the Hackers (aka the Purple Cobra's for those Dodge ball fans out there) teamed up to kick some major butt in the OC Mud run. We had high hopes of finishing first in the team race- okay not first- but high hopes of getting a decent time. I mean look at us- we are in elite shape right? I mean we even warm up and stretch together, kind of.
Our high hopes were quickly squashed when the race suddenly began and we found ourselves towards the end waiting in a really long line to go over the first of many obstacles- hurdles (seriously defeating the purpose of a race). This turned out to be a theme for the race: run, wait to go over an obstacle and then run again. And yes, we could have passed by the obstacles but then we should have just done a regular 5K. Then after about a mile Megan began to complain really annoyingly (j/k) about the duct tape holding her shoes on hurting her. I was uncomfortable too with gravel and mud in my shoes but I wasn't acting like a "twelve year old girl" about it. But when Rob and Matt tore off her shoes and there was blood all over her foot I realized I had been a witch and she had every right to be complaining.
So, accepting the fact that we would definitely not be getting a good time in this race- we both took our shoes off and ran the next two miles barefoot. We thought this would feel better, but I don't know if it did. There were several times that I stepped on sharp rocks, poky stickers and rough pavement that I wanted my shoes back. Matt and Rob even gave us piggy back rides through the extra rocky spots and the areas where I spied glass.
Needless to say, we did finish, just with a horrible time. But, it's not all about winning (or so I keep reminding myself) We had a lot of fun crawling through the mud, jumping over tires and hurdling over each other on the inner tubes through the stinky stream, (My favorite part) waiting in line for a long time to take a shower and eating at a really good Mexican Restaurant while licking some guys shadow on the wall (I reverted back to my high school self)
(Meagan's hair was a little gross after she took out the piggy tails!
The back of Me and Matt shirts said:Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, Nobody!
And the Hacker's shirts said:Cram it up your cramhole…

And the best part was the snake coming up the back of the guys' purple soccer socks. So hot!
I got the feeling back in my feet about 36 hours after the race occurred and the back of my feet stopped hurting two days later. Poor Megan got it a lot worse than me. She was a trooper and I feel bad that I thought she was being a pansy- poor girl. All I know is next year we are going to kick every one's trash by skipping all the obstacles and wearing shoes with long socks and NO duct tape. Can you tell I am a bit competitive?
The happy team getting all snugly together. I didn't realize Meagan and Matt's cheeks were actually touching until Meagan pointed it out- that is a little awkward :)

Next year - we will be back with even snazzier outfits. I have begun brainstorming already (not really- okay maybe a little) Have you noticed I like parenthesis? (a lot)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Leslie said...

That's hilarious!!! I want to hear ALL about it when we are at the beach. Love the pictures, wish I could have joined you.

Candy Fam said...

You are so freakin funny Ky!!! I just love you. Brian and I are cracking up about the dodgeball references... and the licking the shadow... what? no eyeballs?!?!?! I love you friend... and miss you like crazy!!!

the Chandler chronicles said...

Wow, Kyra, what's up with your background???? ;) Nice running costumes by the way!-TLC

The Gray Family said...

you guys are awesome! I am amazed that you guys all got your husbands to wear such "cool" outfits :>) I was sad we were out of town and missed all the fun!

The Cook Fam said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad you did this post because I heard about it and wanted to see what it was all about. I am so excited that you're going to be here next week!!!!!!!!! I know my house will not be clean to your standards but well you already know me so I don't even have to explain. LOVE YA!!

the nice one said...

wow looks like a blast!!! i love the outfits!

Meagan said...

i'm glad my pain could bring you some amusement- sorry i was a big pansy though- i really had high hopes at the start of the race!
next year we will tear it up- and be at the front of the thousands of people cause that was a little ridiculous!!
sorry to pose so cute with your husband!!!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I love all the pictures, I love your outfits, I love that you did a mud run and that you just had a blast with it, I love that you are giving Meagan a hard time because she always gives me a hard time ;) I love this post! You guys rock and I love the outfits!

The BRU Crew said...

I am LOVING the fact that your outfits ROCKED! ;) That looks like TOO MUCH fun! We need to get together when you get back girl! ;) MISS YA!