Monday, May 19, 2008

Handy in the Kitchen?

I asked Matt to make me a Texas sheet cake for mothers day. (My favorite) I sat in the office scrap booking while he started. After a few minutes after he began baking, I could tell it was going to be a humorous event. Matt does bake once in a while, and because he is a definite perfectionist, it takes a long time- but his creations usually turn out wonderfully. I decided to dialogue Matt as he made the brownies- it was a classic example of a male in the kitchen- and makes me wonder- would it have been easier to do it myself? Probably, but where is the fun in that?

Dialogue between Matt and I:
M: Does this really have 2 c.of sugar in it?
K: Yes
M: That is a lot of sugar.
K: Yea, that’s why it tastes so good.
M: We're out of eggs, can I use applesauce instead?
K: No, I think that is in place of oil. I will go borrow an egg.
M: Is a big "T" a tablespoon or teaspoon?
K: A tablespoon- because it is bigger-(hence the capitalization)
M: Does it look done?
K: I don't know- you check
M: No, can't you check it?
(Now on the frosting)
M: We're out of powdered sugar.
K: No, were not, we should have a whole bag.
M: Can you come find it? Oh, never mind there it is
M: What does 2-3 c. powdered sugar mean?
K: (no response)
M: Is this too thick? Should I add more milk?
K:(No response)
M: They should make timers louder. I didn't even hear that go off, did you?
(After the cake is well done)
K: laughing
M: Are you writing this down?
K: Yes, I am going to blog about it.

8 comments:

Aubrey Leong said...

Oh, so funny!

Vanessa said...

That is hilarious! Such a guy!

Melissa said...

Matt sifting flour... what an unforgetable Mother's Day Gift.

Heather said...

Really hilarious! Matt is quite the ham! That made me laugh really hard!

Anonymous said...

HA!! I thought this was HILARIOUS!! I was laughing with you... Mat is a trooper...I have NEVER seen my husband in the kitchen...I don't think I will EVER see him in it either!! HA!! THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!!!

Emily said...

That. Was. Hilarious. It reminds me of one time when I made cupcakes for someone and Spencer wanted to eat one. I said no because I felt like the hen who baked the bread without any help. He said, "But I bought the ingredients."

Sarah said...

this is too funny! what on earth would men do without their wives? :)

Annette Rose said...

That is so funny! Its funny because we have all had that same conversations with our own husbands. At least they make the effort though right?

You have so many funny things on your blog... the syrup, oh man! Thats awesome that you were able to laugh at it though.

I changed my blog address. Its now... http://jacobandannetterose.blogspot.com/

:)