Friday, February 11, 2011

Using my credential... adjusting and various tangents




I received my credential in Elementary Ed five years ago, and while I am sure I have used bits and pieces of the knowledge I acquired here and there without my even knowing it, this day I used a specific strategy I was taught, and it worked wonders.

But before I explain, let me go off on a big of a tangent. My children have struggled in school so far. Ashton has not caught on to reading very quickly and because of that has had a poor attitude regarding school in general. I think he is finally starting to catch on and get a bit excited about reading, but up until now he has done homework and reading dragging his feet the whole time. We have been very lucky with him so far in school though as I think all of his teachers have been outstanding and have pushed him to succeed. He just began early morning tutoring with his teacher in attempts to get him up to grade level so that he will not have to be retained next year. As a parent this has been extremely difficult on me emotionally. School and learning always came naturally to me. I was always an over achiever and perfectionist when it came to school and just assumed that it would come as easily to my children. And I thought I would always be able to help them easily because I have my elementary ed credential. To see that not be the case has been hard. Especially because I know how smart and creative my children are and I want that to come across in their schooling and testing.

Tera is doing okay in school but is also not catching on to reading as quickly as I had hoped. I was not impressed with her kindergarten teacher when we were in Redding and think that could have caused her to be a bit behind. I think with a good teacher she would have caught on more easily, but I felt the whole class was still being taught the basics and she did not have a chance to move on. Now that we are in lake Elsinore she has an excellent teacher. Let me take this moment to go off on yet another tangent.

When we came back to Lake Elsinore I went to register the kids for school. Ashton got into his first grade class, which also happened to be with four of his good buddies from church. However, then they informed me that Kindergarten was full. So she was sent to Rice Canyon school and they would provide transportation (which was fortunate because I have two kids in separate schools getting out at the same time) I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with moving back her and getting back in the swing of things and finding out that the kids would be going to different schools made me stressed. Then we went to Teras school for her first day and I met her teacher, Mrs. Kaas. Jana Kaas is one of my moms friends from when we lived in Lake Elsinore when I was a child. I also worked with her during the dance festival, and think she is one of the nicest, funnest people I have ever met. So, as soon as I found out who Tera's teacher was I felt Heavenly Father's love and felt grateful for Him letting me know that he was aware of my circumstances, that I He knew was feeling overwhelmed and wanted me to know that He was looking out for me. It was a sweet moment.

Now that Tera has a great teacher, I am hoping she will be able to catch up and be successful. Although if Ashton does get retained, I wouldn't have Tera move up anyways because I can't see having my five year old and seven year old in the same grade. That would be too hard on Ashtons ego.

Now I just have to figure out the bus schedule for Tera. On the way home she ends up riding the bus for a hour and a half, which I hate. But I also can't make myself do the 40 minute round trip to pick her up from school each day. Today I waited at her bus stop for a half hour as the bus was late. The whole time I was frantic that maybe she hadn't got on the bus or was lost... something and I started crying because I couldn't get a hold of the transportation department and didn't know what i would do if the bus just never showed up. Wow- writing this I realize I am a bit fragile emotionally right now. If I were you reading this (I don't even know if people read my blog- let alone my long tangents) I would think- she must be pregnant.... let me tell you- I AM NOT!

So, such is life in the Thompson home with two kids in school. Not what I expected.

And now- back to what i wanted to tell you about. Ashton hates studying for spelling test. He whines and complains the whole time. Then I remembered a strategy that I was taught in school at good ol' BYU Idaho for the kinesthetic learners. They taught us that you can mix up practicing spelling words by having the kids write in shaving cream or in pudding. So I decided to give it a try. It was a hit! He loved spelling the words. And not only did he love it, but he got every single word right! The next day he could not wait to do his spelling words. So, my professors and books at college really did know what they were talking about. Tera enjoyed it too. So, if you have little ones struggling or fighting you on spelling words. Just get out the shaving cream. The little bit of mess is sooo worth it!


6 comments:

Katie said...

Ky- I read your blogs :) I enjoy seeing your family activities and staying tuned in what the Thompsons are up to these days. I can relate to Ashton. My parents went through the same thing with me. I am sure they felt some of the emotions that you are feeling right now. Being held back isn't the end of the world if it will help him in the long run. I am glad my parents held me back at an earlier grade than later on. Sometimes I did get made fun of about my age, but that's just life! I am sure Ashton will pull through if not it's not the end of the world and it's for the best. You are such a great mother and it's good to see that you are helping him with his spelling with shaving cream-SO COOL.

Alyse Burt said...

I didn't think you were pregnant! I just wanted to say that first of all you are such a great Mom! Cameron started out behind in 1st grade and I really wish we would have held him back because as a sixthg rader he still really struggles, but to hold him back now would never work. You'll know if it's the right thing to have Ashton repeat. Also, we love spellingcity.com and starfall.com if your kids like the computer, both are free, a huge plus! I hope Matt is enjoying his job and you are settling back in.

Niki McDowell said...

I read this and I can just feel your frustration. They are also considering retaining Brock. There are several times I just break down in tears when I get some of his grades back, I know he is so smart. We kind of do that with the spelling words too. The resource teacher at Earl Warren told us to use the shaving cream/anor whip cream or salt. We went with the salt, since Brock is funny about the texture thing. We've been doing it for 2 years and its amazing. He always gets either 90% or 100% on his spelling tests. Hey if you ever need to vent again about the subject call me, we can vent together!

rachelle said...

yay for ashton! another trick i learned is using a dry erase marker on the window... the kids love writing on the windows and they clean right up!

Sara said...

you have been through so very much this last year. It would be perfectly expected that you are a little overwhelmed, to say the least. Being a Mom isnt easy either but you are doing such an awesome job. the very fact that you are stressing over your kids means you care A LOT. I vent every now and then and say caring is such hard work, but it's comforting to know it's the Lords work.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone else is having a hard time with life or if it's just me... thanks for putting your thoughts out there. its good to know Im not alone in my struggles. I hope you are beginning to settle back in here and beginning to feel more at peace with things. xoxo : )

the Chandler chronicles said...

Ask me about crawling and reading sometime...they are good buddies.

I am so sorry to hear how crazy school has been for the kids. There are many different kinds of "smart" so don't let them tell you your kid has to be retained, if you don't want it, they can't do it without your signature. Don't be afraid to go against the grain when it comes to your kids and their education. I don't care what kind of "degree or years experience or research" a teacher has on you, you are your kids' mom, trust your gut and know that you know what is best for them.

remember too that the school system is a still a business, they are there to make money (in the name of education) and retention means your kid will help bring up test scores next year...just a thought.

P.S. you have got some really smart kids, don't every believe otherwise. Ashton builds things on his own that are so creative, and Tara is a little budding artist and has the sweetest disposition. Keep plugging along, you are doing a great job Kyra!!!