Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hard days...

One day while checking out at Costco my kids were hitting each other back and forth with the sticks used to divide customers groceries, draping the chain across lanes to "close them,"and taking down signs while fighting over who got to hold the receipt and get a smiley face drawn on it on our way out.... I looked at the cashier and said "It's been a hard day." He looked at me and said, "Did you see the car accident that happened on freeway? Those people are having a bad day." I have thought about that comment many times since when I think I am having a bad day. This cashier helped put things in perspective for me. Still though I find myself occasionally thinking- this was a bad day.

Today, or more tonight was a bad night. Matt is training in Costa Mesa right now he will stay the night down in a motel about three times a week. Some days this is fine and other days, like today the day seems so long. Even if the day has been okay- by five I am tired and wanting to call in the reinforcement (aka Dad) but he is obviously not around to assist. This time is especially trying with a newborn (I can still call her that right?) (If not- an eight week old) who gets fussy most evenings.

Tonight- I begin getting ready for enrichment and realize I forgot to finish doing some vinyl lettering that I needed to bring to enrichment. I also need to feed the kids dinner. So I get the kids food and start doing the lettering. The whole time Mazzi is screaming. I call a friend to help me finish the signs (thanks Katie) Mazzi is still screaming. I finally get the signs done, change a diaper, get the kids in the car and head off to Enrichment. Mazzi cries most of enrichment. While helpful friends hold her I get my 72 hour kits filled. Katie comes to the rescue once again by bringing out loads to my car while I herd the kids out. We are driving home and I am getting excited about the thought of kids being asleep. But- Tera cries the whole way home- Ashton gets annoyed with her for crying so hits her. I get mad at him for hitting his sister so spank him. (I usually do not spank- because can't you see the hypocrisy?) Mazzi is still crying- so now all three kids are crying and I am on the verge. By the time we are home Tera and Ashton are asleep. I carry them upstairs to their beds then return to feed Mazzi. She goes to sleep for a few minutes then wakes up again. I just got her down for the night (I hope) at 11:00 pm. My house is a mess as am I--I am ready for a bath, and even more ready to have my husband back at nights! I think he only has four more weeks of training?? Thanks friends for getting me through it!

5 comments:

Alyse Burt said...

I think everyone has a right to a hard day, they are just different from each other. When my sisters husband lost his job someone said well it could be worse. It can always get worse but that doesn't make bad days any less real. You're such a good mommy Kyra! I'm glad you have good friends to help out while Matt is away. I miss my scrapbook buddy, I'm so behind!

Todd + Emily said...

Wow I need that cashiers line number I'm going to go talk to him and get his insight LOL! But it is true at least your healthy and good. Kyra next time you need to text/call me and I'll come take your kids! To give you a break! I think you were talking about Katie Bruer. Isn't she the BEST I just love her!!!! She has helped me out SOOO Many times!

Heather said...

I'm glad you survived another one, you are such a trooper! I envy your patience and hope I can posess it in my future with children! I sometimes think about it when I freak out cause my dog is retarded... how am I going to handle children? I know that they will matter more to me so I will try harder, but it still worries me cause I will have TONS of nights without my hubby! So I feel you! Let me know if you ever need a hand or 2! :) Glad we at least have another support system!

The Gray Family said...

If you are ever having a rough time please please please call me and I will happily take your kids for a few hours! How much longer is Matt's training? For your sake I hope it goes by fast. Then he can start an academy class and be gone all the time some more :>)

Candy Fam said...

Oh my dear friend... I am so sorry about your rough days. It always seems so hard when the hubbies are gone. I also think the third kids just comes along and has his/her own plans. Cienna was a fussy fussy baby and she just runs the whole show now. :) Good luck! I love you and I miss you so bad! :)