Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School

Ashton and Tera are now on their second week of school at Columbia Elementary. So far I am impressed with the teachers and the school. The kids looked adorable on their first day. It was a little sad and scary dropping them off and it is weird just having one at home with me for a big chunk of the day. Mazzi and I have some quality time together while these cute kids are filling their brains full of knowledge!

Ashton started 1st grade with Mrs. Bandell. When he came home from school he said, "Guess what I liked the most at school. Reading, Writing or Recess?" I took a wild guess, "Recess?" "No," Ashon replied, "I like them ALL!" This made me very happy. He is doing really well at reading and I think he is getting the hang of his sight words.
Little Miss Tera began FULL DAY Kindergarten with Mrs. Wilson. I don't believe in full day kindergarten, but that is what they have here. She was happy to have a girl teacher and said she did not want a boy teacher. When I went to pick them up after their first day of school she was a little disappointed because she wanted to ride the bus. I told her she could ride it the next day, to which she said "Is it hard to ride the bus?" "No" I said, "You just sit there." I don't drive it?" This was bit of a let down for Tera who apparently envisioned driving the bus full of students home!

When I went to check on the kids at lunch (I missed them) Ashton was wandering around eating his lunch looking for the rest of his class who was already at recces. We found them and then he was perfectly happy to watch them play until he finished eating. Then I went to check on Tera. She was running around with a little girl playing tag. She looked so happy that I didn't worry about her again. She is making friends quickly and is anxious to start get homework (and I am sure Ashton would happily give his to her). I love these kids and miss them during the day.

3 comments:

The Cook Fam said...

The kids look SO BIG! And Tera's in Kindergarten!!? Ashton looks so grown up! We can't wait to see you guys soon!

the Chandler chronicles said...

The kids do look adorable!!!! Especially Tera!

Heather said...

I know you guys haven't been gone long at all, but they look so much bigger to me in those pics!! So crazy!! Glad they are doing well and tell Tera that I think she looks so pretty dressed up for school! ;)